Megadeth’s Favorite Albums + Songs of 2013
We’ve got yet another year-end list for you! To help round off the year with some expert opinions on 2013, we’ve got an exclusive from each member of Megadeth. That’s right, Dave Mustaine, David Ellefson, Chris Broderick and Shawn Drover have all submitted their Top 5 albums or songs of 2013!
We rounded up several ‘Best of’ lists from some of rock and metal’s biggest names. Members of Anthrax, Sevendust, Between the Buried and Me, Refused, Kyng and others shared their year-end picks, but now we’ve got the entirety of Megadeth to add some icing on the cake.
Check out the thrash legends’ picks below:
Dave Mustaine (Albums):
1. Black Sabbath, ’13′ – A great blend of nostalgia, social commentary, and Iommi’s signature sound.
2. Motörhead, ‘Aftershock’ – Another quintessential Motörhead album – gritty, rumbling, and unpretentious.
3. Killswitch Engage, ‘Disarm The Descent’ – They went through a frontman change while staying heavy, melodic, and keeping it packed with riffs.
4. Saxon, ‘Sacrifice’ – Loyal to the sound of the NWOBHM, but thrashier. Great vocals and production round out a great album.
5. Queensrÿche, ‘Queensrÿche’ – A return to their classic sound, powerful and unique.
Shawn Drover (Albums):
1. Suffocation, ‘Pinnacle of Bedlam’ – Great brutal songs with an awesome production. I absolutely love this record.
2. Queensrÿche, ‘Queensrÿche’ – Easily, the best record Queensryche have made in over 20 years.
3. Saxon, ‘Sacrifice’ – I have no idea on how Biff sings better than he ever has, but he definitely does on this record.
4. Toxic Holocaust, ‘Chemistry of Consciousness’ – This is IMO, the best record Toxic Holocaust have done!!!!! Amazing.
5. Voivod, ‘Target Earth’ – Definitely the heaviest record Voivod has done in ages.
David Ellefson (Albums):
1. Black Sabbath, ’13′
2. Motörhead, ‘Aftershock’
3. The Winery Dogs, ‘The Winery Dogs’
4. Soulfly, ‘Savages’
5. Volbeat, ‘Outlaw Gentlemen and Shady Ladies’
Chris Broderick (Songs):
1. Twelve Foot Ninja, ‘Mother Sky’ – This song starts off with a heavy groove and then breaks down into an old school reggae feel sort of reminiscent of Mr. Bungle, all done really well.
2. Revocation, ‘Invidious’ – Killer guitar work with a great hook from an up and coming thrash metal band. Need I say more.
3. TesseracT, ‘Of Energy: I. Singularity’ – Djent with melodic vocals, killer guitar lines, and syncopated rhythms that come together to form a song that takes you on an emotional ride.
4. Alice in Chains, ‘Choke’ – I think it’s killer how AIC can write lyrics that are thought provoking and emotional at the same time and this song exemplifies that.
5. Born Of Osiris, ‘Imaginary Condition’ – This song is a killer mix of technical, heavy, and melodic concepts in metal in an almost movie score format. It’s a song you can lose yourself in.