Machine Head’s Robb Flynn Calls Avenged Sevenfold’s ‘Hail to the King’ a ‘Covers Album’
Avenged Sevenfold stormed to the top of the Billboard 200 album chart with their latest full-length disc, 'Hail to the King.' The rabid dedication of Avenged Sevenfold fans has shown itself once again, but not everyone is raising their voice to congratulate the hard rock / heavy metal act on their No. 1 album. In fact, Machine Head frontman Robb Flynn wrote a lengthy, highly critical and pretty amusing article on Avenged Sevenfold's "blatant jackery" of material from other acts.
Avenged Sevenfold sold a very impressive 159,000 copies of 'Hail to the King' in the U.S. during its first week of release. The band deserves a fair share of praise for that accomplishment, but within the chatter lies a somewhat-expected sum of criticism. Avenged have been accused in the past of lifting riffs from bands such as Iron Maiden and Death, and now, Robb Flynn has publicly joined that group of naysayers, saying the new album lifts music from Metallica, Guns N' Roses and more.
Robb Flynn wrote the following on Machine Head's Facebook page:
Congratulations to Avenged Sevenfold on their latest "covers album" coming in at #1, who knew that re-recording Metallica, Guns N Roses, and Megadeth songs could be such a worldwide hit!!?? Ba-dap Psssssss!!
I'm on fire!!
In case you've been living under a rock, Avenged came in at #1 in multiple countries throughout the world. I'm happy for them. Good band. And while I like the new record, and really dug the last record "Nightmare", hopefully we're all coming down from our post-orgasmic #1-album-bliss, because it's time to call a spade a spade!! It's time to poke a little fun at A7X, cause there's some blatant jackery goin' on there wiggas!!
So here are my top 10 jokes about the new Avenged Sevenfold record:
10) Avenged Sevenfold - "Now with even MORE Metallica"
9) Avenged Sevenfold to change name to "Sad But Two"
8) Number of "spurting penises" drawn on Avenged logos suddenly skyrockets
7) Eyeliner sales skyrocket as thousands of heartbroken goth girls realize "Hail To The King" is actually "that ugly AC/DC bands song 'Thunderstruck'"
6) After hearing "Heretic", Dave Mustaine flips out, blames Obama, Metallica and UFO's for the A7X stealing "Symphony Of Destruction".
5) After seeing how much success the band Bush had stealing other band names for song titles, A7X decided to steal "In Flames" for latest chorus. Future chorus lyrics include "Tr-vi-um" and "Kill-switch En-gage"
4) Upon hearing latest album, Lars Ulrich goes all gangsta, breaks bottle of Dom Perignon on M. Shadows head, while his 11ft girlfriend put Shadows in headlock, as he screams in Shadows face, "You're gonna rip off St. Anger next right, HUH? You're gonna rip off St Anger NEXT RIGHT? HUH, HUH, HUH!!"
3) "Black album" sales skyrocket as fans realise where new songs came from.
2) After hearing Avenged's Guns N Roses cover "Doing Time", Axl actually calls Slash, says, "Dude, What The F---?!"
1) And the #1 joke about the new Avenged Sevenfold album: Avenged Sevenfold release statement that they're NOT ripping off Metallica, announce side project with Lou Reed.
We'd love to hear your opinion on both 'Hail to the King' and Robb Flynn's criticism of the new record. Sound off in the comment section below!