Metallica, Iron Maiden and More to Appear on Deep Purple Tribute Album ‘Re-Machined’
Nearly 45 years after Deep Purple was assembled, some of rock and metal’s most celebrated acts such as Metallica, Iron Maiden and Black Label Society have paid tribute to the legendary act in the upcoming compilation ‘Re-Machined: A Tribute to Machine Head.’
‘Machine Head’ is one rock music’s most celebrated albums, containing immortal tracks such as ‘Smoke on the Water,’ ‘Highway Star’ and ‘Space Truckin.’ The compilation will feature eclectic re-imaginings of ‘Machine Head’ tracks, as a wealth of musical giants teamed up to create the ‘Re-Machined’ album.
Metallica are currently on a covers kick, not only lending their talents to an upcoming Ronnie James Dio tribute album, but the ‘Re-Machined’ Deep Purple compilation, as well. “We were asked if we’d contribute to the anniversary of [classic Deep Purple album] ‘Machine Head,’ – we can’t turn that down,” said Metallica drummer Lars Ulrich. “We’re circling the Dio and Purple catalogs and hopefully we’ll come up with something that is worthy of these wonderful men.” Metallica will be offering a cover of the track ‘When a Blind Man Cries’ on the Deep Purple tribute.
‘Re-Machined: A Tribute to Machine Head’ will be released within the Sept. 4 release of ‘Classic Rock’ magazine. The special issue of ‘Classic Rock’ is an in-depth, official and band endorsed celebration of Deep Purple, consisting of 124 pages on the classic band.
The special issue of ‘Classic Rock’ falls closely after the death of Deep Purple keyboardist Jon Lord. As a last-minute addition to ‘Re-Machined,’ former Deep Purple vocalist Glenn Hughes assembled guitar god Steve Vai, Red Hot Chili Peppers / Chickenfoot drummer Chad Smith and musician Lachlan Doley for a special cut of ‘Highway Star.’
‘Re-Machined: A Tribute to Machine Head’ Track Listing:
01. Smoke on the Water – Carlos Santana
02. Highway Star – Chickenfoot
03. Maybe I’m a Leo – Glenn Hughes, Chad Smith, Luis Maldonado
04. Pictures of Home – Black Label Society
05. Never Before – Kings of Chaos (Joe Elliott, Steve Stevens, Duff McKagan, Matt Sorum, Arlan Schierbaum)
06. Smoke on the Water – The Flaming Lips
07. Lazy – Jimmy Barnes, Joe Bonamassa
08. Space Truckin’ – Iron Maiden
09. When A Blind Man Cries – Metallica
10. Highway Star – Glenn Hughes, Steve Vai, Chad Smith, Lachlan Doley (exclusive track)