Metal Allegiance Reveal Songs, Players + Release Date for Self-Titled Album
It's on! Metal Allegiance recently inked a deal to deliver an album full of original tracks to Nuclear Blast, and now we're learning who exactly is involved in this all-star collective, what songs they're playing and most importantly, when we can get our hands on it.
Just last month, it was revealed that a core group of Megadeth's David Ellefson, Testament's Alex Skolnick, Winery Dogs' Mike Portnoy and principal partner Mark Menghi were organizing plans for the album. Initially Metal Allegiance served as primarily a covers band, with many top name rockers turning up at shows to pay their respects via some of the biggest tracks in the genre. Now, many of the same Metal Allegiance past participants are back to put their stamp on these new songs.
The band's self-titled new album includes appearances by Philip H. Anselmo, Charlie Benante, Chuck Billy, Randy Blythe, Rex Brown, Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal, Phil Demmel, Alissa White-Gluz, Matt Heafy, Gary Holt, Jamey Jasta, Chris Jericho, Andreas Kisser, Misha Mansoor, Mark Osegueda, Tim "Ripper" Owens, dUg Pinnick, Troy Sanders, Cristina Scabbia, Steve "Zetro" Souza and Ben Weinman, in addition to the aforementioned Ellefson, Menghi, Portnoy and Skolnick.
“It's always my pleasure to jam with such esteemed musicians and brothers, and my contribution to this project is further proof of that fact. Hail to all Heavy Metalers the world over!" states Anselmo. Portnoy adds, "I could not be any more excited or proud of the Metal Allegiance album... it's everything I’ve always dreamed of and hoped for and 100 times more!"
The album, due Sept. 18, comes with nine original songs, though there's also a digipak edition that will include an all-star tribute to Ronnie James Dio on a cover of his song "We Rock." That set also comes with a 45-minute behind-the-scenes documentary on the making of the album. And, if you prefer vinyl, there will be a double vinyl version featuring all ten tracks as well. Watch a trailer teasing the release here.
"When Lamb Of God asked Alex Skolnick to rip a guest solo on Ashes of the Wake, it was a big deal to us to have one of the legends of our scene play on our record," says Randy Blythe. "Much to my amazement, years later he returned the request, and it's an even bigger deal to me to be asked on a peer level to contribute to a project with so many stellar players. I was honored to be chosen – ‘Gift Of Pain’ rips! Play it LOUD!"
Check out the full track listing and players on "Gift of Pain" and the album's other songs below.
Metal Allegiance, Metal Allegiance Track Listing
1. "Gift of Pain" - (Randy Blythe - vox; Alex Skolnick - gtr; David Ellefson - bass; Mike Portnoy - drums; Gary Holt - gtr)
2. "Let Darkness Fall" - (Troy Sanders - vox; Alex Skolnick - gtr; David Ellefson - bass; Mike Portnoy - drums; Rex Brown and Mark Menghi - bass; Randy Blythe - screams)
3. "Can't Kill the Devil" - (Chuck Billy - vox; Alex Skolnick - gtr; David Ellefson - bass; Mike Portnoy - drums; Phil Demmel - gtr; Andreas Kisser - gtr)
4. "Dying Song" - (Philip H. Anselmo - vox; Alex Skolnick - gtr; Mark Menghi - bass; Mike Portnoy - drums)
5. "Scars" - (Mark Osegueda and Cristina Scabbia - vox; Alex Skolnick - gtr; David Ellefson - bass; Mike Portnoy - drums)
6. "Destination Nowhere" - (Matt Heafy - vox/gtr; Alex Skolnick - gtr; David Ellefson - bass; Mike Portnoy - drums)
7. "Wait Until Tomorrow" - (dUg Pinnick and Jamey Jasta - vox; Alex Skolnick - gtr; David Ellefson - bass; Mike Portnoy - drums/vox)
8. "Triangulum" - I. Creation II. Evolution III. Destruction - (Alex Skolnick - gtr; David Ellefson - bass; Mike Portnoy - drums; Misha Mansoor, Ben Weinman, Charlie Benante, Phil Demmel, Matt Heafy and Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal - additional gtr)
9. "Pledge of Allegiance" - (Mark Osegueda - vox; Alex Skolnick - gtr; David Ellefson - bass; Mike Portnoy - drums; Charlie Benante, Gary Holt and Andreas Kisser - additional gtr)
10. "We Rock" (Deluxe Edition only) - (Mark Osegueda, Chris Jericho, Tim "Ripper" Owens, Alissa White-Gluz, Chuck Billy and Steve "Zetro" Souza - vox; Alex Skolnick - gtr; David Ellefson - bass; Mike Portnoy - drums; Andreas Kisser, Phil Demmel and Gary Holt - additional gtr)
You Think You Know Megadeth?
You Think You Know Testament?