Tom Morello, Against Me! + More Contribute to ‘Hugs for Chelsea’ Benefit Compilation
Always down for a good cause, Tom Morello leads a group of artists contributing to a new benefit compilation titled Hugs for Chelsea that celebrates the release from prison of Chelsea Manning to help cover her living expenses after serving a stint behind bars for her role in the leaking of classified documents to WikiLeaks.
In 2013, Manning was sentenced to 35 years in prison after pleading guilty to providing hundreds of thousands of classified documents, but before leaving office in January President Obama commuted her sentence. To help her out upon resuming her life, Evan Greer organized a compilation meant to raise funds for Manning and musicians from across multiple genres have contributed.
Tom Morello performs as The Nightwatchman on "Until the End," the second song on the digital collection following a PSA from R.E.M.'s Michael Stipe. You'll also find Against Me! delivering "ProVision L-3 (#Resist Version)," Anti-Flag rocking "The Ink and the Quill" and Ike Reilly's hard-hitting "Bolt Cutter" on the compilation. In addition, Chris Farren gives Against Me! a second exposure on the set covering their song "Bamboo Bones."
Other artists of note on the 32-song Hugs for Chelsea set include Thurston Moore, Graham Nash, Amanda Palmer, Talib Kweli, Ted Leo, Kimya Dawson and Kevin Devine and the Goddamn Band. See the full track listing for the set below. "Chelsea Manning is one of my heroes," Nash said. "Anyone that has the courage to disturb the 'status quo,' to 'rock the boat' as she did is very brave and what she did was show some truth to the American people about what the government was doing in our name."
"She's been through so much and she needs our support," Michael Stipe added in a video. "[Proceeds from the album will] help cover her basic needs as she transitions our of seven years of incarceration."
The album is available through Bandcamp and can be purchased below. There is also a GoFundMe page that has been set up to raise additional funds for Manning.
Hugs for Chelsea Track List
1. Michael Stipe, "Hugs for Chelsea PSA"
2. Tom Morello/The Nightwatchman, "Until the End"
3. Thurston Moore, "Chelsea's Kiss"
4. Priests, "Nothing Feels Natural"
5. Evan Greer, "Never Surrender"
6. Graham Nash and James Raymond, "Almost Gone"
7. Against Me!, "ProVision L-3 (#Resist Version)"
8. Downtown Boys, "Adam and Eve"
9. Amanda Palmer, "Bigger on the Inside"
10. Talib Kweli - "Every Ghetto pt. 2"
11. Anti-Flag, "The Ink and the Quill"
12. Taina Asili y La Banda Rebelde featuring Michael Reyes, "Freedom"
13. Mirah, "Radiomind"
14. Screaming Females, "I'll Make You Sorry"
15. Ted Leo, "Runes of Abandonment"
16. Kimya Dawson, "At the Seams"
17. The Kominas, "Not Today"
18. Sammus featuring Jean Grae, "1080p"
19. Chris Farren, "Bamboo Bones" (Against Me! cover)
20. B. Dolan, "Which Side Are You On?"
21. Bonfire Madigan, "Untitled"
22. The Chapin Sisters, "Sweet Light"
23. Louise Distras, "Aileen"
24. Bell's Roar, "One Shot"
25. Kevin Devine & the Goddamn Band, "Private First Class"
26. The Shondes, "On Your Side"
27. Drones Club, "Chelsea Girl"
28. Ryan Harvey featuring Kareem Samara and Shireen Lilith, "To Keep You Silent"
29. The Max Levin Ensemble, "My Valerian"
30. Anne Feeney, "Whatever You Say, Say Nothing"
31. Ike Reilly, "Bolt Cutter"
32. Tommie Sunshine featuring Disco Fries and Kassiano, "Barbarians"
See Where Rage Against the Machine's Albums Landed on the Top 90 Hard Rock + Metal Songs of the 1990s
10 Greatest Hard Rock + Metal Protest Anthems